Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 2: Where Hope and Faith Meet….

31 Days
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Heb 11:1
What is hope?   Hope is the desire paired with the expectation for something….In other words I may wish for the President to visit my house one day but I don’t really expect that to happen.   I do however, hope that a dear friend will be able to come next week and have good reason to believe that she will do just that. 
Merriam-Webster defines faith this way:
firm belief in something for which there is no proof…. complete trust
Faith is the vehicle that carries hope.  Faith gives us the confidence that we will receive that which we hope for, it is the strong, unshakeable belief that we will have that for which we hope although we have no visible evidence.  But faith in what?   I had faith in medicine, I hoped that my son would be healed.  I expected that when they said his chances to survive, be cured even were 90% that he would a long, good life.   The odds were in his favor…yet my faith and hope and medicine did not save my son.   I was left confused, angry and distant from God.   Not understanding His promises  I believed Him to be untrustworthy at best, sadistic at worst.  I prayed and He failed me.  Because I did not know Him quite as well as I believed my faith and hope were misplaced.
My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. Ps. 62:5
It was a long, dark process back but I began to understand that God had not failed me.  He had not left me without hope.  His promises are infinitely broader and more beautiful than this revolving planet can hold, they reach far beyond life and death and are centered deep within who He is….and who He is in good.
So then, if faith is the vehicle, Jesus must be the driver and we must trust that where He takes us He will keep us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you're listening! Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...